Saturday, April 17, 2010

What I do need

Omega 3 long chain fatty acids, (as well as other omegas), water, sleep, meditation, exercise, a high percentage of raw fresh fruits and vegetables, and natural products to keep my skin healthy. Eczema is unique in that it is inflammatory from the inside, but can also be aggravated by outside irritants. The first couple months I was trying to treat my eczema only from the outside. I would read about these people who started using coconut oil, and their eczema went away in a week. Multiply that by 100 and those are the things I read about, many of them I tried. Did my eczema go away in a week? No. Nothing I put on the outside made any difference.

Not until I started treating it from the inside did I see any results. I started using a supplement called sea buckthorn, that is a whole food supplement from the fruit by that name. It has a combination of EFA's, to get the body in the habit of making them on its own. I also started making a large green smoothie in the morning, and put it in a thermos to carry with me all day. This usually involved kale, which is incredibly anti-inflammatory, and spirulina, which is also incredibly healthy. Add whatever fruits, and I'm good to go. I really feel that the kale, the spirulina, and the sea buckthorn are what turned the tide for me. I also ended up taking yellow dock root as a blood cleanser to help with the detox process, but I do not think that would have worked on its own. How could I detox if I was still putting crap into my body? The nutrition element was the missing piece, and once I put it together everything else fell into place. When I first started my nutritional plan, I stopped putting anything on my arm, except for coconut oil right before bed. I was washing my hands with pine tar soap (which apparently had also worked for many people but did not work for me on its own), but did not even put coconut oil on my skin. I wanted to see how the nutrition on its own would work. And I observed my skin become softer and the inflammation go down, drastically. It took at least a week before my skin looked much less inflamed and angry. During this time it still itched, but did not feel like it was on fire like it had been. As an extra added benefit, I was able to feel good about allowing my body to heal from the inside, and trusting in my own intuition and inner knowledge as to what my body needs. I needed to have patience with the process. I learned that the skin regenerates the epidermal layers about every 3 weeks, and the entire skin layer about every 100 days. This made the wait more bearable. My skin is about 95% back to normal. This has been an amazing experience, and one I wouldn't trade for the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment